Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Wednesday's Wonders--Thanks

Most of you who know me, know that I love me some music. Last week I led a choir of young women ages 12-18 in a performance. They had practiced the song for about a month and a half. In the first practices, it was disastrous, but, little by little, they improved and eventually the song was quite lovely.

One of those young girls came up to me after the performance and said, "Thank you for leading us and helping us learn the song." I was surprised. I often get praise from an audience for how good things sound, but the kids rarely come forward and say anything. They are the receivers of compliments and thanks not the givers. This girl's unexpected thanks made my heart soar.

At this time of year when we think about Thanks and what it means to us, let's remember to voice it to others at unexpected times and make "when you least expect it, expect it" a positive thing. We might make someone's day.

I'll follow my own advice and thank all of you for sticking by me and continuing to read my blog and comment. I've been amazed at how supportive the writing world can be. There is a lot of dog eat dog going on out there but not in the blogging trenches. Thanks! Y'all are a wonder.

7 comments:

Rebecca Ramsey said...

What a nice story! I bet you are fantastic with the kids.
I'm thankful for friends like you!

Unknown said...

I am always just so touched when a young person thanks me.

Recently, I was talking to my aunt, and mentioned that my husband and I wouldn't be able to do Christmas gifts for our extended family this year, so she shouldn't purchase us gifts. She said she would anyway--she appreciated the fact that we always sent thank you cards, and it didn't matter to her that we wouldn't be able to reciprocate with gifts.

Thanks can mean so very much.

Patti said...

I concur, thank yous are always welcomed.

Davin Malasarn said...

What a nice post! I'm glad the student made you aware of the impact you have made in her life. The writing community is definitely very supportive. It's a beautiful thing.

Jessie Oliveros said...

I have been very happy with the support in the writing community...in fact,I just figured it was everywhere. Is there really dog eat dog out there? How sad.

PJ Hoover said...

Thank you for the reminder to spread thanks! I need to keep this in the forefront of my mind. It means so much when people thank us for even the smallest things.

Candice said...

A sincere, unexpected compliment can really make your day. I agree about the blogging world, so supportive. I feel grateful for all the wonderful friends I've made.