Friday, November 20, 2009

Friday's Photolife--Multiple Shots

Sorry this is a little later in the day. I got so caught up in my rewrites (that are going well--boom chicka wow wow!) that I forgot I was supposed to post today. Hello, Lois, it's Friday. Thank heaven for my new schedule. At least I know what to write about. Whew!
How about some fun action shots. Digital photography has revolutionized action photography for me. I'm from the age of using film and worrying about the cost of it when you have to take a lot of pictures to get one shot. Now, if I want to take 300 pictures of something, no problem. All it costs is the extra energy to push down the button (and maybe putting in a new memory card).

If you're working with action shots, your best bet for getting good pictures is taking a ton of pictures. Here are a few photos I got of my incredible nephews on their trampoline.
Total, I probably took 250 pictures of them while they were playing around. The thing is with action shots, there will always ALWAYS be blurs, especially in waning light like I had that evening--even professionals have them. One of the differences between an amateur and a pro is how many pictures they take. (Skill would be another one, but still...) If you take enough pictures and you get some of them in focus, you're bound to have something good.

Then you can get them at the height of their jump.
Leaping the trees.
You can decide if it's better that he's looking at the sky...
or looking at the tramp.
Because with action you can get anything and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.
Take plenty so you can delete the blurs.

Application to writing? I think we have to do multiple versions of some scenes to get the right one. Some will work and some just won't, and sometimes we don't know until we do them.

Happy weekend everyone.

10 comments:

Hannah Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hannah Beth said...

pictures of my cousins jumping on the trampoline = awesomeness

Cindy R. Wilson said...

I'm scared--those flips looked dangerous!

Great action shots, though. I definitely don't have skill so it's nice to know that taking pictures in greater quantity will at least render me with more usable shots.

I think that application to writing. I agree--no matter how well you know your characters or their paths, sometimes you need more than one "shot" to get it right.

Have a great weekend and unplug week!

Cindy R. Wilson said...

Sorry, I meant to say, "I like that application to writing". I don't know how that "think" got in there because clearly it's not something I'm doing right now :D

Tana said...

Wow you have some serious acrobats there! Watch those necks. ;) My first internship at the hospital was the brain injury unit, a trampolene injury. I always cringe when I see that. Your boys look plenty sturdy though. Have a great weekend. =)

Sherrie Petersen said...

What great shots!

And you're right--sometimes I'll just scrawl out a scene with my characters, not certain whether it will be in the final book or not. Either way it helps me to know the characters better.

Jessie Oliveros said...

You didn't have to tell me the application. I got it right away. The difference is how many times we try. I love it. Awesome pictures by the way.

PJ Hoover said...

Sweet pictures! Isn't it funny how there is ALWAYS an application to writing :)

Jenni James said...

WOW! Those are some awesome shots! It looks like a lot of fun! And actually, i love editing. I can always flush something out and make it so much better the more I go through the book.
Jenni

kah said...

Looks fun, but also brings back a bad memory of me hitting my lower back on the frame of one of those. Ouch!