Friday, March 19, 2010

Friday's Photolife--Rule of Thirds

There are certain rules in taking pictures that instantly make for more visually appealing shots. One of those is the rule of thirds. Divide the image in thirds vertically and horizontally. If your main image is on one of the lines, it will be more pleasing to the eye.
It's even better if your main focal point is where the lines cross like my niece's face in the shot below
or the overflowing flowers in this urn in the gardens at Versailles.
Our eyes (for whatever crazy reason) are naturally drawn to that spot in any visual image and it feels good to have the subject there. I might even say it is comforting.

See what I mean? Our daughter's face is where the lines cross. Try putting your subject off center. You may be surprised at how good the pictures turn out. Just make sure you lock your focus on the subject.

Application to writing: There are certain rules in writing that make a story more satisfying. The three act structure is one of those (I picked this one since we're talking about threes). I didn't think it would make my book better if I used it, but, when I applied it to my story, it got much better. It felt right. I might even say that it was comforting. Go figure! What other rules have you found that made your novels better?

18 comments:

Elana Johnson said...

My husband always says this too. And it is true. I've never applied it to writing, because, well, frankly thinking that hard about something freaks me out. Ha ha!

Angie said...

Great pics and great advice too. I'm going to have to think about what makes our writing more appealing/comforting. Although, sometimes it's nice to pull people out of their comfort zones too.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Very cool post. You're right! I do find the thirds thing comforting. It's the same in decorating, right? Three pots grouped together looks so much better than two or four.
Fascinating that it works in writing too.
Your daughter is so pretty, by the way.
Have a great weekend!

Anne Gallagher said...

Gee and I just changed my 3-act into a 5-act. Any tips for fifths? Besides booze.

Beautiful pictures, ah, Versailles.
Lucky you.

sarahjayne smythe said...

I love the connections you make between photography and writing. I've never looked at things this way, and it amazes me every time you show me.

Tana said...

Great rule. I need to remember this when taking pictures. BTW, you have a gorgeous daughter she looks like JLo. =)

Tahereh said...

wow what a fantastic way to make a point. i never knew that about pictures.

super cool.

thanks so much for sharing!

lotusgirl said...

Thanks, y'all. I'm quite prejudice about our children so, of course, I agree that she's beautiful. I'll have to tell her you think she favors JLo. She'll get a kick out of that. She can really sing, too, so who knows?

Carolyn V. said...

I believe the 3 act story does make it more interesting and smooth.

You have some wonderful pictures, so beautiful! =)

storyqueen said...

Love the photos...and you are right. I am going to try it...next time I remember to take a picture of something...

Love your blog!

shelley

Robin M said...

Great advice for taking pictures and like how you equated it with writing. Will have to try that.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I love the three act structure! It works really well for me, as well as the rule of thirds. :)

Good post!

Julie Dao said...

Beautiful pictures and I love your description of the process. It's all about appealing to the human psyche! I have never applied the three act structure to my writing but it sounds fascinating to try. I don't really have any rules that I apply, apart from stepping back and trying to read my story as a reader.

Suzy Thompson said...

fascinating. I never knew there was so much to photography.

J.R. Johansson said...

Beautiful pictures! Great way to illustrate your point. The rule I've been working through with writing lately is: everything is improved by conflict. It's working well so far!

Susan R. Mills said...

Great analogy to writing! Great pictures too! I'll keep this in mind the next time I take pictures.

Nayuleska said...

Fab pics.

Writing rules...I don't follow the 3act rule as far as I know.

I do try and make things hard for my characters. Make them face their fears.

Nishant said...

I believe the 3 act story does make it more interesting and smooth.
home jobs india