Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Wednesday's Wonders--Mentors

The last few weeks have been especially fun for me watching my children find things that they are very passionate about and providing ways for them to hone those talents. I've learned that letting them choose makes it mean so much more to them. All I have to do is provide opportunities and exposure and then nurture their preferences. Maybe it's Japanese or archery or art or music or karate.

Once they find those preferences, mentors help make a huge difference. It's a wonder to me how much my kids get out of working with mentors. Some of them are teachers. Some of them are fellow students. Some of them are people who just have the same skill. Some are in person and some are online. They all care deeply and want to see my children's talents grow. What more could a mom ask for? To me, they are a wonder.

In this writing venture I've found the same kind of mentors for myself. I'm grateful for them just like I'm thankful for my kids' mentors.

11 comments:

Jessie Oliveros said...

My children are young, but it must be nice to know that there are people you can trust to teach your children things you can't teach them. I like my online mentors, too. :)

Sherrie Petersen said...

Mentors are great to have at any age.

Paul C said...

I like the term 'nurture their preferences.' It's so wonderful to find the interests of your children and help them to grow through mentors and family.

Carolyn V. said...

Mentors are wonderful (I agree with Sherrie, at any age!). =)

Parkay24 said...

I agree 100% and think you are also a great mentor Lois!

Patti said...

It would be hard to do anything without someone to guide us.

Kelly H-Y said...

Agreed ... wonderful post.

Tana said...

Here, here sister! I'm MORE than greateful for all my great blogging buddies, including you Lois!

sarahjayne smythe said...

Awesome post. Good mentors are worth their weight in gold.

PJ Hoover said...

Mentors and a support network are so important in writing. I'm glad you're happy with yours.

Carrie Harris said...

Lovely thought for the day. Thanks!