Friday, August 28, 2009

What a week!

I was so determined to be back on track with my blogging, but... Yikes! I should have thought about the first week back to school. With my youngest, it was no problem. She's going to the local elementary, so there's really only the homework time when she gets home that is extra. Oh! but with the 2 middle kids, my homeschoolers, time has been eaten up completely. 

It's been nice, though, getting back into discussions of Charlemagne and feudalism and whatever comes up. The whole getting organized and signing up for classes has overrun my days. (I didn't even get a whole book read this week. For those of you who know me, you know what that means.) I think things will actually be a lot lighter now that we're all in motion

I was really worried about trying to teach a High Schooler (aaaaaaaaaak!), but I found an accredited HS transcript program online through a University where she can eventually take college credits in HS. It is working out really well, and she's loving it. (Well, all except the math) Whew! She's even getting to take a Philosophy class (Oh boy! Her first objective in there distilled down to something like--learn the elements of an argument and improve your arguing skills. Oh great! She's already really good at that. It's all I need. But, hey, she'll be reading Plato and Descartes.) and Japanese that she's been working on learning for a while now. (Of course, she picks a language I know nothing about. Languages are my thing. That's what I taught in high school. It would be so easy to help her through French, Latin, Spanish, even German some, but noooooo! She has to learn Japanese. I've had to find her a tutor. She has her first session with the tutor today. Crosses fingers that all will go well.) Actually, I'm happy for her. I want her to be able to study about what she loves. That's a big part of the upside of homeschool to me. 

I hope all of you with kids in school are getting back into your routines! 

8 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

ACK! Homeschooling, you crazy crazy woman! I understand your reasons, but it's still really hard for me to think about doing that myself. You are an excellent teacher, I'm sure, and your kids are very lucky!

Here's to hoping you get settled into a routine where you have time to do some of the other things you love as well.

Danyelle L. said...

Awesome post! Homeschooling can be a time eater, but it's sure worth it. :) That's wonderful about the HS program. I'll have to look into that a few years down the road. Kudos to her for picking Japanese, it's a beautiful language. :) Hope you're able to get back into the groove soon!

Tess said...

The first week of school is INSANE! It will work itself into a routine soon, though, and you'll be back to your reading (I hope). Very ambitious to home school. Your daughter is lucky :D

Patti said...

Homeschooling a high schooler. I'm impressed. Mine starts high school this year and there's no way I could home school him.

Tana said...

We start school on the eighth (the latest date in a long time). I can't wait to get back into our routine of lazy mornings, the occasional tears, the overload of assignments (and that's just me) ;)

Nayuleska said...

Japanese is a lovely language! I watch manga to help improve my Japanese listening skills (it really works). Some lovely manga are Aqua/Aria the Animation (there are 2 seasons out already, should be readily available where you are...unlike over here where I have to order from USA sellers). And I order the manga to read (its more than doable with a good dictionary).

Yay for homeschool!

Kasie West said...

You are so brave to home school. But it sounds like your daughter is getting the kind of education that she could never get at a public school. Way to go. And yes, we're slowly getting back into our routine.

Judy Croome | @judy_croome said...

Homeschooling? Yikes! You're brave. Getting into a new routine is always a crazy time, but I'm sure you'll get there. Good luck! :)