Friday, March 20, 2009

Entertain me!

As requested, here's a rundown of some shows and films that I have found particularly entertaining lately. Sure I could say CSI, but who hasn't already heard of that and made their own decisions. Same with The Bucket List. I thought I'd share some that aren't on everyone's radar.

TV
1. Castle
Castle: Season 1
--Mon. 10 PM on ABC. It just started this last week. Two episodes have already aired. Very charming. Written by Stephen J. Cannell. A famous thriller author, researching for a new series, shadows a detective. The first episode had cameos of James Patterson and Stephen J. Cannell as Richard Castle's writer buddies. There are complete recaps of the episodes on ABC's website.  I wasn't planning on watching any new shows. The dang TV is eating away at all my writing time. I was leaving the room when my husband started watching this one. I stopped to tell him something real quick before I left the room and got sucked into it in the first few minutes. I'm already hooked. Ugh! And yet very entertained in all my ugh-ness.

2. The Mentalist
The Mentalist: Season 1
--Tues. 9PM on CBS. It started last fall. 16 episodes have aired. A reformed psychic (i.e. not a psychic at all, but just very observant of human nature and people's actions and quirks etc.) helps the FBI solve crimes. 

3. Chuck
Chuck: Season 1 (4-Disc Series)
--Mon. 8 PM on NBC. This is the 2nd season of Chuck. The first one was cut short by the writers' strike last year. So it would be fairly easy to catch up. There are also full episodes and recaps posted on the NBC website. Chuck is a lovable computer wiz who works for the Nerd Herd at the Buy More (think Geek Squad at the Best Buy). He becomes the country's most vital asset when a database of government secrets ends up in his head and the only computer with that info self destructs. He bumbles through helping the FBI solve cases. This one totally cracks me up every week. It may not be for everyone, but I love it.

Film--for the synopses just pull up netflix or something like that.
1. Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
--(2008) Amy Adams, Frances McDormand--I saw this one reviewed on Stephanie Perkins blog and had to check out. Loved it! Frances McDormand is fantastic. It's quirky and fun with a little depth too. The HBM (Hot British Male) factor is another good reason for watching. PG-13--for backal and sidal nudity and adult themes.

2. Cold Comfort Farm
Cold Comfort Farm
--(1995) with Kate Beckinsale, Ian McKellen, Rufus Sewell--Hilarious! The names! The personalities! The situations! British humor!  An unexpected array of twists and turns! Amazing cast!  More HBM sitings! PG

3. Dear Frankie
Dear Frankie
--(2004) with Gerard Butler, Emily Mortimer--Heartwarming, sweet, romantic. I saw this advertised on one of my netflix rentals and added it to my list. Gerard Butler (a definite HBM) would be reason enough to watch this movie, but the story is poignant and touching. It really stays with you. PG-13 for language.

4. Regarding Henry
Regarding Henry
--(1991) with Harrison Ford, Annette Benning--My token US movie. Okay, so my films have tipped very British. I do tend to lean that direction. The problem is I think y'all are all familiar with the US ones I love. Here's one you younger people may not be familiar with, since it was filmed in 1991. Henry's journey is compelling. I loved it when it first came out, and it still holds up after all these years. (Harrison Ford's not bad either.) PG-13. 


16 comments:

Tana said...

hanks for the rundown, Castle sounds good. I'm addicted to reality shows as well.

Unknown said...

Castle is awesome!!!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Adam loves Chuck. He said I'll LOVE it when I have time to sit down and watch it.

Calista's favorite movie is Cold Comfort Farm. I've only made it halfway through. Kids always find a way to interrupt us. URGH!

And this is why I don't watch TV. One day...

Thanks for the list!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

I haven't seen any of these, but now I want to!

Cindy R. Wilson said...

Castle is good. I was looking forward to the start of that one and, fortunately, was not let down. Something about witty character interaction just makes my day!

lotusgirl said...

T. Anne, I'm not a huge fan of reality shows. When I watch TV, I'm trying to escape reality.

Beth, I think we have some similar tastes.

Glam, I think Adam and I would get along really well. I think you would really enjoy it and laughter is always good for us. You have to finish CCC. The best stuff is in the 2nd half. I'm laughing now just thinking about some of it.

Becky, Let me know, when you do, how you like them.

Cindy, it makes my day too.

Rena Jones said...

I so suck -- I rarely watch anything anymore. Too busy reading blogs, I guess. ;)

lotusgirl said...

they can totally take over our lives, can't they?

Jenni James said...

Ooh! I'm going to have to see some of those movies! Thanks for sharing... but no TV for me I'm afraid. We only watch movies. Jenni

lotusgirl said...

Jenni, Hope you enjoy!

About Me said...

I must be really out of touch with tv, I didn't know over half of those shows above. Shame on me.

lotusgirl said...

Crimey. the tv shows are mostly new.

JaneyV said...

I am SO checking out Castle. I LOVE Nathan Fillion. I'd watch him in a coma. They are about to air The Mentalist on UK TV this week so that's a yes too and we all love Chuck even though it's the same story every week.

That's a great bunch of movies too. I will be putting them on my DVD rental list.

Stephanie Perkins said...

Hurrah! I'm happy you liked Miss Pettigrew. Such a charmer!

And I definitely need to tune into Castle. Nathan Fillion is so COOL.

lotusgirl said...

Stephanie, Yes. It is a charmer. And I'm liking Castle better and better with each episode.

Parkay24 said...

We watched "Cold Comfort Farm" tonight and enjoyed it. Funny and charming.